Saturday, May 18, 2013

Bacon Friday and Fantasy Baseball Problems


Before I dig into my fantasy baseball stuff, words need to be said about how great Bacon Friday was today at the A's game. For those of you who don't know the story, Jeff Francoeur is the guy we've been  serenading for years about bacon and today marked the third annual game we did this. This was my first "bacon event" since I couldn't make Bacon Tuesday due to my college visit at the University of Alabama last April.

I saw from across the country how big that event had gotten in terms of media attention and all that which made me happy for those guys since I know them and I was happy for the A's fan base as a whole since we had taken plenty of flak from A's ownership during that offseason.

This year I made sure that I was going to be in attendance and I was more than happy with how it all turned out, great creative food and all my best friends. It was one big party and even better, the A's won! I can't say enough about Josh Donaldson and Adam Rosales. There's no way Josh Donaldson doesn't get an All-Star game birth if he continues to swing the bat the way he has. As for Adam Rosales, the kid deserves more playing time since he's really hitting the dime of the ball right now. With all due respect to Eric Sogard.

I have to give a big thanks to Omar (@OmarInTheOF) for the amazing work he did with this event since I know what it's like to organize an event and the t-shirts were genius!

Let's hope today was a sign of things to come for the A's and maybe we can put on a little bit of a streak to get us going.

Now for my fantasy baseball stuff, I am a huge fantasy sports fan if you don't know. Fantasy football is always a great thing and I've now found a spot in my heart for fantasy baseball now that I'm in a 20 team dynasty league that is absolutely insane! Here's my roster.

Catcher: Welington Castillo (CHC)

First Base: Ike Davis (NYM)

Second Base: Mark Ellis (LAD)

Shortstop: Adeiny Hechavarria (MIA)

Third Base: Placido Palanco (MIA)

Outfield: Chris Carter (HOU)

Outfield: Ben Revere (PHI)

Outfield: Leonys Martin (TEX)

Utility: Travis Hafner (NYY)

Utility: Michael Brantley (CLE)

Bench

Brett Jackson (CHC Prospect)

Nick Franklin (SEA Prospect)

Jorge Soler (CHC Prospect)

Mike Olt (TEX Prospect)

Francisco Lindor (CLE Prospect)

Jonathan Singleton (HOU Prospect)

DL: Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

Pitchers

Kyle Lohse (MIL)

Alex Cobb (TB)

Ryan Cook (OAK)

Sean Doolittle (OAK)

Bud Norris (HOU)

Bartolo Colon (OAK)

Joe Saunders (SEA)

Tony Cingrani (CIN)

Bench

Tyler Skaggs (ARI Prospect)

Jake Odorizzi (TB Prospect)

DL

Henderson Alvarez (MIA)

Arodys Vizcaino (CHC)

I know what you're thinking, who are these guys? Well, this what you're left with in a 20 team Dynasty League that I took over in February. I was left with a team full of old players that I knew had to trade away for any prospects I could find. Players like Mike Napoli, Jed Lowrie, Yu Darvish (I'm kicking myself for that one), Ichiro Suzuki, Delmon Young, Randall Delgado, Brandon Phillips and just as of yesterday Ian Desmond.

Trading away those players got me Ryan Cook, Alex Cobb, Arodys Vizcaino, Ben Revere, Tony Cingrani, Francisco Lindor, Mike Olt, Jonathan Singleton, Welington Castillo, Bubba Starling (Just traded him in the Ian Desmond trade), Brett Jackson, Leonys Martin, Ike Davis, Michael Brantley, and Chris Carter (who I got for Randall Delgado in what I thought was a steal).

If you're a fantasy baseball guru, please grade my performance in those trades I also did a lot of adding and dropping that got me a few more prospects here and there.

If anyone is looking at joining fantasy sports, I believe a dynasty league is where someone should look into because the rosters carry over from year to year so it feels like you're running a real franchise with prospects, DLs, and stuff like that. It also gives you more time to look at the stats which is always fun because I seem to always learn something new when I'm looking at stats.

Information is key and baseball is definitely no different. With baseball, you have to know what you're talking about and statistics are all part of it.

My team (who's team name is "Free Oakland" based on the stadium situation) is playing for 2015 or 2016 and right now treading water, and getting rid of all the old pieces for new guys. Ian Desmond was a tough guy to get rid of but trading him and Bubba Starling for Ike Davis, Tony Cingrani, and Michael Brantley seemed like a return that I couldn't pass up since especially with how deep my team is at Shortstop with prospects like Nick Franklin and Francisco Lindor in my team's bench.

When you have decisions like this and plenty of active owners the fun just gets better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment